My Tattoo Experience


I got my first tattoo in September.  I had always wanted one, I just never really knew where or what I wanted to get.

I met a friend and we decided that we were going to go for it and get one together (although that didn't really workout) we both got our tattoos from the same artist and around the same time.

We made an appointment at SLC Ink and we had our first consultation with Siri about a week from setting up the appointment.  At this point I HAD NO IDEA what I was actually going to get.  My friend and I had started sketching out ideas and I decided on a peony flower with an organic molecule.

Why a peony flower?

     Well, I knew I wanted a flower of some sort so I looked at different designs and found one that I liked  and it happened to be a peony flower.  The peony flower also symbolizes good fortune, honor, and passion.

What organic molecule? 
Screen shot from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenylalanin

     I originally thought about getting the aromatic molecule for the flower I was getting, but I couldn't find the organic molecule for the peony flower scent, but I did find this awesome website:


Basically it talks about how the molecule diphenylalanine in THF  forms a peony like flower crystal.  Me being the nerd that I am thought that was so awesome, so I decided that was perfect.

For the consultation I took the organic molecule and the picture of the peony flower tattoos, showed her where I wanted it, and she gave me a estimated price and time frame.

Two weeks later I met with Siri to get the outline done and she had an awesome sketch ready.


The very first thing they do is shave and clean the area then they put the stencil on.  DON'T be afraid to speak up if there isn't something you like! This is the time you want to double check that everything looks just the way you want it, because that shit will be on you forever.  (Mine is smudged on the bottom because I had her move some leaves around.)

Then they get started!! AHHH!
At this point I was so nervous that it was going to REALLY hurt, but she was patient with me and did a quick line so I could see what it felt like.  The outline took about 2ish hours to do.

Between sessions there was about 3 weeks to make sure that the outline was completely healed.

When I came back, I was more excited than anything!  I knew what it felt like so I wasn't too worried.... BUT the shading is actually a LOT more painful. During this session I also had her add even more leaves to the bottom of the flower.  It took about 3 hours to do and I was SOOO ready to leave when it was over.  That picture was when I was more than half way done. It was really swollen, red, and even bloody. 

When you're finished with a session they apply Vaseline(so it doesn't dry out)and plastic wrap(to keep bacteria out). You leave that on for a 2-3 hours after the session.

For me the tattoo was a little sensitive so I had to sleep on the opposite side and I also tried to wear loose clothing so that it didn't rub against it.

After you get your tattoo you should try to keep it clean. I've heard of people using plastic wrap for a few days after they get it to make sure it's covered... but I didn't.  You also want it to stay moist(I used unscented lotion).







For the first few days it stayed that red-purple-brown color but it healed quickly.  It got EXTREMELY itchy and it peeled(like a sunburn) but I tried my best to refrain from itching or peeling the dead skin, because it could possibly take the ink with it.  Although, if some of the ink is rejected every tattoo shop allows you to come in 3-6 weeks after it has healed to get the tattoo touched up.


Overall, my tattoo turned awesome.  I really love it!


If you're thinking about getting one, I would suggest finding a good parlor and possibly going to multiple different artists to make sure you're getting what you really want.  I would also MAKE SURE to be specific about changes you want throughout the process. Don't be scared to talk to your tattoo artist!

WARNING: Once you get one.... YOU WANT MORE!  I've already planned out a few more that I want.😋

Thanks for Reading!  Check back soon for more.💬




Comments